Monday 28 February 2011

The Big Reveal!



WARNING: This is a very long post, so please feel free to move on if you have more thrilling things to do than fabric gaze!


Ok then, time for the big reveal. The reason I couldn't show what we had been up to is because it was all for our daughter, Matzen, whose friends had organised a surprise baby shower which took place yesterday. So, now the party is over and there is just a baby to look forward to - note the played down 'just' there when in fact the whole household is in a state of utter baby excitement - I can actually reveal the things we spent half term making: these fabrics became...




A cot quilt in raspberry pinks, soft whites and a touch of red to lift the whole.




Unfortunately yesterday morning was dull here unlike today with its bright, beautiful sunlight which would have made photographing the fabrics so much easier. Never mind, you get the gist anyway. This is the reverse. The mix of soft fabrics makes me want to sigh with pleasure every time I see them; they also produce an almost overwhelming need to curl up in their quilty swathes for a snooze or two!




The 'top side' is even more special to me as we each designed a motif which I then embroidered onto the quilt. Everyone drew their own design onto paper first and then had free reign of my sewing room and its many piles of fabric - gulp - to choose what colours they wanted to use for the various components of their design. Even Isabella was completely involved in the process, drawing a house and having the most definite ideas about which fabric to use for the roof.




I tried to ensure that each of the designs was appliqued and embroidered in such a way as to retain the style of the designer. For example, the grass in the image above shows the naive style Isabella draws grass and windows (I traced her pencil strokes onto the fabric to keep it as exact as possible). Dave also has a very er, naive style! he is renowned for his pictures of boats such as this one...




and sea creatures such as this!




Elias drew an amazing lighthouse





I thought a little girl was needed, what a surprise





and Lucy wanted her signature cupcake to keep things girlie.




I realised the only picture I took of the whole together was really rather a poor one. So typical isn't it?




The binding was a soft duck egg blue with rosebuds sprigs scattered over, A pretty contrast to the rest.




So there you have the first of the makes. I get such a deep sense of happiness when I think that this is the fourth quilt I have made as gifts for our children and love the fact that so many of us worked together on this very first one for one of our children's children! I'll save Davey's knitting for the next post as I truly feel I have rambled on long enough. I'll leave you with a photo I took early this morning when the sun shone with such warmth that it is impossible to believe spring hasn't arrived at last.




Have a lovely day x

20 comments:

  1. That quilt is absolutely gorgeous and a great idea to incorporate everyone, a proper family heirloom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, what a beautiful beautiful quilt, it's stunning Pip! And the fact that you all worked together on it is so heart-warming, what a lovely gift, it will be treasured I'm sure for years and years. I love all the little details, they are all so thoughtful, you can tell how much love and care went into every step of the designing and making, you are one clever creative family! :) have a great week, Jenny xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That it truly a stunning quilt!

    Just gorgeous. Love the fact that everyone got involved.

    A luckily little baby indeed being born into such a loving and creative environment.


    MBB x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet and adorable baby quilt! And how lovely that you all worked on it, that makes it such a special welcome gift. The fabrics and colours you have used are just gorgeous, Pipany, and the family's applique pictures show how talented you all are. What a gift to treasure, in so many ways.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is one of the most beautiful quilts I have ever seen! A true family heirloom!
    Vivienne x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lucky baby to receive such a wonderful gift. I can imagine all the stories you will be able to tell about the pictures on the quilt. It's incredibly special.

    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pip, that is so gorgeous - honestly it is beautiful and I can imagine will be well loved and cherished, treasured for ever.

    Have a wonderful day,

    Nina xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Pip, this is so lovely, your daughter must be thrilled.
    Hen x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an incredibly special and beautiful quilt - it will definitely become a family heirloom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is beautiful Pipany - truly a heirloom piece. Please send some of you sunny weather South Eastwards! The sky has been dark grey all day. I can hardly see to type due to lack of light!!! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. That really is an amazing quilt - a real treasure to be kept forever. The details are lovely and the fact that everyone contributed makes it extra special. Perfect in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Pipany,

    I had to read your comment one more time to be sure, but am I right you are going to be a grandmother? CONGRATULATIONS! The quilt looks absolutely fantastic. This baby is lucky to have such a sweet family who made this for her/him :-)!

    Happy new week!

    Lieve groet, Madelief

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was just the same as Madelief - congratulations to your very creative family! What a treasure of a quilt too, I'm sure Matzen (beautiful name!) and her baby will love it forever.

    Love Stephxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an absolutely wonderful idea - and those colours are beautiful! Such an heirloom for the new little one, sewn with lots of love. Perfect x

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is amazing - how wonderful that everyone has created part of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. A beautiful little quilt that will be treasured for ever!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have goosebumps. This is absolutely gorgeous and would have me in floods of tears if I was the lucky recipient.

    What a wonderful symbol of all the love this baby will have when welcomed into your family.

    Clare
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pipany what a fantastic quilt, I am sure it will be treasured for many many years to come. So so special, and beautifully finished. The children in our local school made a huge quilt for the millenium, the quilters embroidered all of their pictures of themselves and things they love about their island home, your quilt reminded me of it.The baby is going to be born into so much love, enjoy the excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is really wonderful! Every baby or child would be happy to have one... Thank you for the beautiful idea, Alexandra

    ReplyDelete