Wednesday 25 June 2014

Thoughts on Coasts & Inspiration.



As anyone who reads my blog will know, I love the coast. I love the waves and the calm of the sea; I love the rugged cliffs & the soft sand, the way the north of Cornwall is wild and sublime while the south coast is gentler with coves and rivers. Lately the Cornish coast has very much been inspiring my designs, particularly on a new range of bags where little boats bob close to coral and fish...


This design is called The Rugged Cliffs because it was inspired by the rugged cliffs (!) of North Cornwall where I grew up. There the cliffs are scattered with clumps of pinky mauve sea thrift, the plants huddled in nooks & crevices in order to survive the ever-pervailing winds. There is a majesty and beauty in this coast that haunts my thoughts. I have never really left it behind and when I need space to think or breathe, when my mind is so full it is tipping over or when life manages to break through to wound just a little, as all life does sometimes, this is where I see myself. Here the waves crash against sea-smooth stone and the reaching, jagged cliffs put the world back to rights...well, for me anyway.


hence the sentiment on the bag: 'Let the Sea Soothe your Soul.' I really loved working the freehand embroidery cliffs for this design & hope I have captured something of how this place makes me feel.


Of course, then there is the other coast: the softer southern Cornish seas which also speak to me though so differently. Here we have lighthouses which look quaint as well as reminding the onlooker of the rocks beneath the often calm surface. Here my children and I search for crabs and shells and pretty things in the many rockpools, and swim, snorkel or just play. I think of more rested times as my gaze falls on the ripples of jade water.


 Somehow this coast inspired a jauntier feel for this design, the words 'The Soft, Silent Sea' suggesting how often I have lain on the golden sand listening to the gentle ebb & flow of the tide, its calm song lulling me to sleep.


And there it is: a little inspiration, a brand new design flowing out of my head and onto the fabric. My own version of the tide perhaps?


And then on to the most recent: Beach Huts. This is a slight mix of both coasts as beach huts appear on each, though the idea of the palm tree surviving those harsh winds makes me smile a little. That definitely belongs to the south!


I really loved working on this one! There is something about beach huts I think. Perhaps it is the idea of living as close to the water as possible, even if only for a day. Maybe it is the pretty colours they are usually painted in. Who know; all I know is that I love them!


At the moment these bags are part of a short run while I trial out the designs. Each measures 41cm x 35cm approx, and has an interior pocket. 

They are available to buy for £ 35.00 + 2.00 p&p 

Either leave me a message here in the comments, a PM on my Facebook page, a DM on Twitter or email me if you prefer ( info@pipany.co.uk )

I hope you like them as much as me!
Bye for now x

15 comments:

  1. They are very lovely and I so agree there is nothing like a walk on a wild beach to clear the head. I miss that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your work. You and I are very lucky that we live in such beautiful and inspiring corners of the country. Pembrokeshire is very similar to Cornwall in that respect. Waving from just across the way! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these scenes. You are very clever! (Best wishes from Jane in Australia)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been too long since I last visited. What lovely work you've been doing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely to have found you on Gillian's blog! I live in West Cornwall, and am always happy to find fellow Cornish bloggers! Your bags are beautiful, as are you descriptions of a place that has captured my heart since moving here 13 years ago.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. fabulous bags, I love the north cornish coast.x

    ReplyDelete
  7. YoBit lets you to claim FREE CRYPTO-COINS from over 100 distinct crypto-currencies, you complete a captcha once and claim as much as coins you can from the available offers.

    After you make about 20-30 claims, you complete the captcha and continue claiming.

    You can click CLAIM as many times as 50 times per one captcha.

    The coins will stored in your account, and you can exchange them to Bitcoins or USD.

    ReplyDelete