Thursday 13 October 2011

Drifting & Calm.

Hello there. It's been a while, but in all honesty I just couldn't seem to follow the last post with anything remotely interesting. How do you follow up seals and dolphins and as for baby seals... ah well, normal service resumed I guess. So today I thought I would share the diverse colours appearing in the garden, from the soft pink of the last rose






now sitting prettily in a flowery teacup in the sitting room,






to the fast-turning fiery tones of the acers.






I so love the acer family with their delicate lacy leaves and feathery fronds which shimmer gently in the breeze.






We are lucky enough to have three different varieties of this beautiful family, each breathtakingly beautiful in its way. each adding a little something to its neighbours whether as a delicate backdrop to the wildlife pond or as a foil for the blue pot on the courtyard. And talking of shimmering...






Despite my loathing of the heavy-booted blighters racing across the carpet on an almost nightly basis, I do love the beauty of these webs. How strong they must be to withstand the Cornish mizzle weighing them down with its equally fine drops. The garden has taken on a feeling of calm with its soft colours and burnished seed-heads as it settles towards winter.








Spider-like seeds spin lazily on the breeze landing who-knows-where to lie waiting for the cycle to begin again.








There is colour but it is gentler, more muted in its tones; well, it is in our garden anyway.







Apologies for the poor photography on those last images; I blame the poor photographer (and the dire light I suppose)!

Bye for now x

11 comments:

  1. I think I can smell that beautiful rose Pip, such a shame they don't last for ever. I love your embroidery, and the delicate seed floating away on the breeze .. I just hope it doesn't settle in MY garden!
    Have a lovely week x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pipany, it's good to see you!

    Your embroidery is so ephemeral and peaceful... does that make sense? I also love your respect for autumnal colours.

    Warmest wishes,

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such gorgeous rose pictures, and the acer leaves and jewelled webs are so beautiful. I think your embroidery looks wonderful too, I love to see the close ups and be able to appreciate the textures of fabric and hand embroidery like that.
    Have a happy day. Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your autumnal colours Pipany and the way you've put them down in your embroidery - just perfect.

    Have a lovely day,

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful photography! We have the same mist and drizzle and the same beautifully draped spiders' webs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Pip. I love acers too, we only have one in the garden and its still fairly young but I'm expecting great things of it with each passing year!

    I love your 'calm' piece of embroidery - those seed pods are delightful.

    Jeanne
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your embroidery is beautiful and just right for this time of year, a little more muted, as if settling in for the winter months, lovely... Beautiful garden pictures too, the webs are so intricately laced aren't they... though I too absolutely hate those big horrible house ones :( urgh! Wishing you a great rest of your week and a lovely chilled out weekend too xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Autumn is my favourite time of year, I love the colours and the golden light. I love the earthy scents and the harvest.

    Still have lots of Roses flowering here - last of the summer.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Pipany,

    There is still so much colour in your garden. You captured it beautifully in you needlework! I haven't been to our garden for two weeks now. It's just too busy. Hopefully we will have some time this weekend to see how it looks like. When I see your photo's I would love to go straight away, but alas it's dark now.... :-)!

    Happy evening,

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  10. The embroidery is beautiful - I love it. I hope you have been having fun with the new book - I thought about it as I have a load of quinces to do something with and was looking over all my foodie books today . . .

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love those spidery seed heads you have ebroidered. Beautiful.x

    ReplyDelete