Tuesday 14 April 2015

Sea, Loss and Change.






Blissful sunshine is burning through my studio roof as I type. It calls for images of the sea (yes, just for a change), especially as the season for dog walking on most of the Cornish beaches is now at an end. I have no real problem with this as there are so very many other beautiful spots to walk and I quite like the marking of the seasons in this way. I also have no desire to have myself or my children scattered in sand by an over-excited dog when we are there for the day!  I do however quite like the idea of a 9 - 6pm ban which would give the best of all worlds, but this is not something that happens here. Ah well...



It feels so good to be spending longer outside, the clocks changing allowing for trips down to the beach with the children after school and time spent pootling in the garden until it becomes a bit too chilly. I am excited by the challenge of our garden this year as dogs, hens and errant ducks have turned what was once beautiful into something of a bombsite. I see opportunity all over and am torn between wanting to be out there and needing to be in here working. Work has to win of course but it's a hard won battle.


I do intend to document some of the changes of our garden on here but for now it is mostly the need for the sea that dominates today's post. The first post in a very long time actually, but I am missing blogging and hope to keep it going for as long as possible before the next lull hits!



In other news I have begun to dabble again with painting though have only achieved one so far! I have never used acrylics before and really enjoyed the dabbling. The result (unfinished I may add) is this rather Poldark-ish painting of an engine house though unfortunately minus the gorgeous Ross & the equally lovely Demelza. The colours are a little brighter than the scanned version shows. The trouble is that having left it for a while I am a bit nervous about carrying on and am tempted to start another instead!


I am drawn to some of the photos I have taken of the sea and may have a try at a seascape which is another challenge I have not attempted before.



A new design for mini bunting has kept me busy in the studio and has been pleasingly popular. I really enjoy making these little flags up and they can be personalised to suit.



Of course, while I ma busy in the studio others think they can do as they please.  I popped out to make a cuppa to find this bunch wandering around the kitchen. Five ducks and one hen rummaging around led by the ever-naughty Sunshine... that's the one looking directly at the camera.




Yes, this one!



Isabella and Dave watched Paddington the movie and followed it up with a marmalade making session. You can just see Paddington watching over them on the dresser in the background. Lovely to have a jug of coffee in bed and freshly made marmalade on toast which is pretty much what we did throughout the Easter holidays.



My lovely girlie doing a touch of sewing in my studio. Hmm, who does she take after I wonder?



I am so glad to see the back of winter. It was a hard one with two very loved people passing away leaving me feeling so lost and struggling to find my bearings again. It is still so hard but the sun does help. Tears are important too and many a walk with precious Pepper has seen me viewing the sea through blurred eyes, tissue to hand and a sopping wet dog to cuddle up with after her salty swim. I miss my Mum, I miss our Uncle and I thank the heavens for the special times spent with both. 




All this has led me to feel a need for change of some sort though I have no idea what form it should take. I need something to focus on as I come to terms with the profound sense of loss I am left with so am milling and musing, hoping something comes into my head that feels right. Perhaps it will just be as simple as altering the garden - I did take down a 20ft holly tree from the front hedge with nothing more than a fine edged saw the other day all on my own, as is my wont - or maybe it's the business that needs to alter. Maybe I need to develop it in a different way. I just don't know but I know something will guide me eventually.



In the meantime I will work on one of my other challenges which is to teach myself to do the splits. 




This is something I have never been able to do and thought that now I'm 51 (dear god, how did that happen!) it would be a good time to do it. I am almost there so on with the stretching!

I do like a challenge!


Let me know in the comments if you have planned any challenges for yourself won't you and I'll reply.

Bye for now x






23 comments:

  1. Oh, love, I'm so sorry to read about the loved ones you've lost; it's so hard - especially all those 'firsts' to bear. For all the sad news and the questions this was such a lovely blog to see again and to share a brief glimpse of your world. I do hope to read more from you again. All best, Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris. It has been hard but with lovely parts too. It just takes time doesn't it? I'm glad you enjoyed the blog post though and I intend to keep it going again now xx

      Delete
  2. Hello Sue. Yes to both! I would love to meet up with you both this year if possible. I sort of last the last goodness how many months but I hope you are well? And you have to read the books too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear of your losses Pip. I don't have any challenges planned for myself this year. My word of the year is serenity and I am planning on keeping it as serene as possible going with the ebb and flow of life. I love the photo of the ducks invading your kitchen. More pics of animal antics please! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there Simone. Serenity is a beautiful word & a very good one to hold to. Think I may add it to my list for the year too as challenges are good but I truly need serenity too. Take care lovely xx

      Delete
  4. How lovely to see you back here Pip, although sad to hear of your losses. I think the desire for change is a natural part of the grieving process and I remember feeling that way after my Dad died. It felt like a desire to live life to the full!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think you are right Gina. IAnd it is good to be back here too xx

      Delete
  5. It's so lovely to read this, I have missed reading so many favourite blogs and resolve to remedy the situation! So sorry to hear about your Mum and Uncle, sad times. No wonder you feel cast adrift, walking those Cornish coasts should provide some good thinking time, inspiration will surely follow x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so hoping that is the case Kitty. I too need to catch up on blog reading.. including yours! xx

      Delete
  6. It's so nice to see you back , I missed your sea photo's and the ducks of course. So sorry to hear of your loss' . My mam passed two years ago now and I still miss her so much . She hated the fact that I had put on weight and since she left us I keep saying I will lose it but haven't .... yet . This is my challenge .... take care xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am so sorry to hear that. I have been surprised just how adrift it has made me feel. Challenges are good so the best of luck with yours lovely xx

      Delete
  7. Hello Pipany; I am a newcomer to your blog but living in Cornwall myself and loving the place as I do, I was drawn to your blog title. So glad I came to see - gorgeous photos in your posts and a friendly style of writing.
    Very sad to hear of your losses over the winter and my heart goes out to you; I hope the walks by the sea will be healing for you and that time will help to ease the pain, though it will never go away entirely. As I get older, I miss my Mum more and more and wish I could visit with her, to chat and drink tea or take her out to see the beauty of this lovely county. She never saw Cornwall; lived in Leicestershire all her life. But after my husband passed away in 1985, I made The Move, along with my sons, and feel as though I have come home. I wish you peace and indeed - serenity, a wonderful word, isn't it? A closeness to the sea is the best possible medicine, I reckon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rambler (sorry, not sure of your name!) & thank you for your very kind words. I think Cornwall speaks to many; it certainly is part of my heart & soul, and I love it passionately so am always pleased to hear of others who felel the same. Walks by the sea are so healing aren't they? I hope you will pop by again xx

      Delete
  8. Dear Pipany,
    Thank you for once again sharing your beautiful Cornwall with us. As always, this post is so full of your unique spirit, humor, creativity and love of your family. I am very sorry to learn of your loss of your mom and uncle during the past winter. Surely, this particular spring is and will be a time for much contemplation about how your own life changes.
    You are so very kind to us who visit hereabouts. Seeing Isabella sewing, seeing ducks in your kitchen, seeing delicious food being prepared, seeing your beautiful painting and charming embroidery. And...the Cornish coast and your beautiful smiling face!
    Thank you. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you sio much dear Frances. It feels godd to blog again & I hope it may help me work out what changes I need to make. Thank you as ever for you kind words xx

      Delete
  9. How lovely to see you blogging again, but I'm so sorry to read of your losses. Life can be so hard, but I think that's why we have dogs to cuddle and beautiful views to look at. How gorgeous to see your ducks in the kitchen, I can almost hear those feet on the floorboards! It's lovely to see your painting too. I discovered acrylics last year - I used sketching and painting to help me through a difficult time, art is very definitely therapy. Good luck with the garden revamp and with the splits, that's quite a challenge brave lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such lovely comments Maggie. As ever, I sort of feel you 'get me' and so your words mean so much xx

      Delete
  10. Florida State Football fsu football game live live stream free online. How to watch Florida State Seminoles football games live stream today/tonight & Florida State Football schedule, news. florid state ncaa football

    ReplyDelete