Wednesday 1 May 2013

Powerful Perranporth



The sun is here and a trip to the ever-windy exhilarating north Cornish beach of Perranporth called loudly to me. Sand between toes ... bliss.



This stretch of shoreline is wide, a vast expanse of golden sand with dunes on one side and high, forbidding cliffs on the other. The waves here roar toward you unceasingly and the wind buffets you around in a way my north Cornish self loves. You know you have been sharing space with nature here. You can feel it in every fibre of your being.



Rockpools were few, the waters still icy to the feet but glistening in the harsh light.
 


And oh how healing does that unending blue sky feel?  It spread above me with not a cloud to mar its perfect tone; a vast summer-blue sheet just begging you to turn your face skyward & spread your arms as you bask in its light. I did so & spun around uncaring who saw. I needed this light after such a long cold winter (and who knows how long it will last).



Walking one end to the other, buffeted this way & that, it was impossible to let daily worries impose and yet again I was reminded how important it is to get out in nature to put life into perspective. Why am I so bad at allowing the time? I seem to see it as a luxury, something I am indulging in rather than the necessity it actually is. Not any more (and yes, you may hold me to this)



My hurriedly snapped photographs don't capture the intense light and cast a cooler glow than the reality.



These hollowed out cliffs tell you something of the power of the seas here. I have stood in the carpark far from the distant shoreline and watched as one wave rolled incessantly forward to cover the entire beach in less than a minute. The north coast is powerful and should never be under-estimated. Always pay the sea the respect it deserves.


And breathe...




I have no idea what happened with this image as I haven't done any editing, but I quite like it. Much moodier than it was to be honest.


Hope you enjoyed an all too brief outing with me x

13 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh!!! God that looks beautiful!! The sea is such a rejuvenator in every way!!! I'm hoping to be there in 2014!!! What a wonderful post!!! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely. Glad you enjoyed it :)

      Delete
  2. Hello Sue. Thank goodness the sun has finally come. It really does make life seem brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful prose and photos - loved it and felt the salt in the air. Like you I always mean to get out into Nature more often but somehow it gets left when other things seem to be more important yet what could be more important than connection with Nature? The sounds, smells, feeling the wind in one's hair and seeing the beauty and majesty in it all. Let's make a pact to get out in it more often?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pipany, thank you for sharing that fabulous place with us. How wise you are in reminding us to take time to partake of all that nature gives us.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you frances though the reminder is for me as much as anyone!! x

      Delete
  5. Beautiful pictures Pipany. Don't we all remember why we live here when the sun comes out! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, we're lucky toads aren't we?!!! x

      Delete
  6. I loved taking a walk with you, Pip. I can smell that salty air and feel the wind tug my clothes. Hope you can fit some more inspiration time into your days. Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am determined Karen! Have a lovely day xx

      Delete
  7. Stoppit!!!! STOPPIT!!! I am in land locked Oxfordshire and you are making me 'cornwallsick' :( We go to here for hols - well Porthtown just along the road .. I want to go there NOW! But i can't :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's any help Julia the sun has just disappeared and it is looking set to rain :) x

      Delete